Friday, February 18, 2011

From Photo Major to Clinical Massage Therapist...

I continued to study art & photography at Columbia College in Chicago until 1999. I LOVED every minute of it! I was learning & creating everyday! My teachers were incredible, the knowledge they had was amazing! I was so fortunate to go to such a passionate art school! So why did I stop? I often ask myself the same question. But the sad reality is, it was fear, fear of my disorder interfering with my dream! A visual artist with PXE is at risk of vision issues. "A person with PXE rarely, if ever, becomes totally blind, however they may lose central vision to the extent that they become legally blind, and able to see only through peripheral vision." pxe.org.

This image is from my first set of Self-portraits at age 19.

At the time there was no treatment for eye issues associated with PXE (now there is treatment available, but I hope to never need it). I let fear get in the way of finishing my degree, so I dropped out to get an education in a field I could work in "just in case" I became legally blind.

I decided to become a Clinical Massage Therapist! I knew I could pursue my photography & jewelry careers part-time, while working full time in my "just in case" job. I wanted to really help people, so I decided on a Clinical Massage program at The Soma Institute.
I graduated on the president's honor roll in 2001. I quickly became very passionate & devoted to my new profession!

This photo was taken at one of my first massage jobs.

No comments:

Post a Comment